Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Almost TOO Good

G and I went to our appointment this morning with the hopes that we'd see one, maybe two, follicles that were ready to pop.  As the technician dimmed the lights, G and I had a front row seat to what turned out to be a very full party, er, ovary.  With swiftness, the technician measured 8 (eek, 8) follicles on the right side.  And, well, the left said was sitting this one out.  We got the "Wow, that's a lot" from the nurse, but they sent us home with the specimen cup and trigger instructions, and a "Hey, we'll call you later."  

As it turns out I had four remarkable follicles - 19, 17, 16, and 15 as of 7:45 this morning.  

I got the call from the nurse at about 6pm.  Her first words were "This is not an easy conversation, do you have a few minutes?"  My heart was sinking as she said those words, as I was fully expecting her to say that we were canceling the cycle.  My long, long cycle.  As it turns out, she continued on by saying that everything was great - almost too great - at this point.  My estrogen is over 1,000.  The only concern, of course, is that we're triggering multiple follicles.  And, as the nurse said, she had to have the "selective reduction" discussion with us, as their goal was to give us one healthy baby, not a litter.  (The litter part is my husbands phrasing).  

Healthy.  That's our answer.  We want a healthy family.  The rest is up for discussion.  

SO... I took the trigger shot tonight and we have scheduled an IUI for Tuesday.  Fingers crossed.  PS: I blame the multiple follicles on my ob/gyn who waved her magic fingers over my stomach the other day and said "Baby-making vibes."  

No comments:

Post a Comment